Monday, July 26, 2010

Javasakuna Jataka

Jataka 308
Javasakuna Jataka
The Woodpecker and the Lion
While Buddha was staying at Jetavana Monastery, he told this story about Devadatta’s lack of gratitude. “Not only now is Devadatta ungrateful. Long ago he was the same.” Then he told this story of the past.
Long, long ago, when Burhmadattawas reigning in Baranasi, the Bodhisatta was born as a woodpecker in the Himalayas.
One day, while devouring his prey, a lion got a bone stuck in his throat. The lion’s throat swelled so much that he couldn’t swallow, and he was in severe pain.
From his perch on a large tree, the woodpecker noticed the lion’s distress and asked, “Friend, what ails you?”
In a pained voice, the lion told him what was the matter.
“I could easily take the bone out of your throat, Friend,” the woodpecker replied, “but I don’t dare put my head into your mouth.”
“Don’t be afraid, Friend. Please save my life! I promise not to harm you.”
“All right,” said the woodpecker. He told the lion to lie down on his side. As he was about to put his head inside the beast’s open mouth, the woodpecker thought,” Who knows what this fellow might try!” He found a strong stick and placed it between the lion’s upper and lower jaws. Then, certain that the loon could not try to eat him, he put his head into the lion’s great mouth. He quickly found the bone, latched onto it with his strong beak, dislodged it from the lion’s throat, and let it drop harmlessly on the ground. Once the woodpecker had withdrawn his head from the lion’s mouth, he gave the stick a blow with his beak so that it fell out, and he flew back to his tree.
A few days later, the woodpecker noticed that the lion, having fully recovered, was devouring a wild buffalo which he had killed. “Now is a good time to put him to the test,” the woodpecker thought. He flew to a tree near the lion and perched just above his head. “Friend,” he said to the lion, “recently, I did you a great kindness, as great a favor as bird such as I could do. I wonder whether, In return, you would grant me a trifling boon.”
“You trusted your head to m mighty jaws, and you are still alive.” replied the lion the lion. “That’s quite enough of a favor from me to you!”
Seeing the lion’s true character, the woodpecker calmly replied, “From such a thankless wretch, I should never have hoped for any gratitude for my good deed. Still, it does no good to give in to bitter thoughts or to reply with angry words. I’m happy that I don’t have to keep company with this ingrate in the future.” With neither hatred nor regret, the woodpecker flew away.
History ended, Buddha identified the birth: “At that time Devadatta was the lion, and I was the woodpecker.”
written by ken and visakha

No comments:

Post a Comment